Friday, May 4, 2007

19 Minutes




I recently purchased the book 19 minutes. I thought it would be a good book because I loved her other ones, but when I finished it seemed so intense and it scared me. I didn’t know what to think of it. The bullying in it and the mentality of the main character (Peter); he found nothing wrong with killing those 10 people and it scared me that someone could seriously think this way. I didn’t understand the intensity of the book.
After I finished some parts I had to read them over because I couldn’t believe anything like it. Hearing about Columbine because I read the “ She said Yes” book some years back was a shocker in 6th grade. But the Judi Picoult book had a new openness to her book that I don’t think I was ready for. I became so upset at everything, thinking how could someone think this way? People who are bullying don’t realize what they are doing and so when I saw it in school or people gossiping it got me so upset.
The next day, after I read 19 Minutes, my english teacher talked about a student she once had that had stabbed someone and killed him. He had autism or something like it.. She had written a poem on him and everything about him and how he was. The murdering part of it, how unhappy they were, the fact that they took someone’s life was so extreme I wanted to cry. Instead I took a poem a wrote it about 19 minutes. About Peter getting revenge and the people in the book. Then she was talking about some english group for her friends story and the whole time i was about to explode i guess i just didn't realize that things happen like this. And not everywhere is a happy place and you can either sit back and let it happen or do something about.

I myself.. don't even know what i'm doing but i guess i'm still trying to figure it out.

I listened to the podcast of Judi PIcoult talking of the story of Judi Picoult and i realized that for some people school is hell on earth and sometimes we are at fault even if we dont know it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, rachelle. thats deep.

Caroline said...

hey..do i know you? you commented on my blog.

Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.